Sunday, November 5, 2017

My Gateway to the U.S - L1B Blanket VISA Interview Experience

Annually approximately 37 million people from across the world visit the United States of America for business or work or studies or personal purpose. Everyone's gateway to the U.S is a VISA. There are 185 different types of VISA and broadly fall under Immigrant or Non-Immigrant VISA.
  • Non-Immigrant VISA - for temporary visits such as tourism, business, work or studying.
  • Immigrant VISA - for people to immigrate to the United States. 



My gateway to the U.S was L1B Blanket VISA which was filed by my Employer based on my specialized knowledge of proprietary application. (Refer Wiki VISA for more details of VISA types)
The overall processing time before I got an appointment for Bio-metric and VISA Interview was approximately 4 months. I had my Bio-metric and VISA Interview appointment at U.S Consulate Chennai, India in the month of March, 2017. Read on further to know my experience of these in detail.

Biometric Appointment: 22nd March 2017 3:00 pm IST at U.S Biometrics center on Kodambakkam High Rd, Nungambakkam, Chennai, India

I reached the biometrics center by 2.20 pm. Luckily I did not have to run around last minute near the U.S Consulate to leave my phone with someone reliable or some place safe unlike most people who had to leave their phone with a street vendor for INR 10.00. I was instructed by Immigration Department (Employer) not to carry any electronic devices including cellphone and so I had left the same in my room at the Hotel. I carried all the required documents including DS-160 and Indian Passport. I had verified all my documents many times so I did not have any trouble getting inside unlike few unfortunate ones where details on their DS-160 did not match with that on their Passport and other documents and had to go outside and get a new corrected DS-160 from the agents around the U.S Consulate Office at very high price (~ INR 2000 for one DS-160). This was the case more with the aged parents who were not familiar with the process and were there for Tourist VISA to visit their children in the U.S. 

I was on the queue for my slot and was let in around ten minutes before my slot time, once everyone in the previous slot were in. My documents was verified inside and was made to stand in another queue for photo and fingerprints collection. The entire process took around 30 minutes and I was handed over my passport with a small sticker at the back and instructed not to remove it till VISA Interview. I was outside the building completing the entire process by 3.30 pm.

VISA Interview Appointment: 23rd March 2017 9:00 am IST at U.S Consulate, near Gemini Circle, Chennai, India

Dressed in formals, I reached the U.S Consulate office approximately 45 minutes prior to my appointment with all the required documents. I joined the queue on the footpath besides the road for entry to U.S Consulate. After security check and verification outside, we were let inside the compound only to undergo detailed security check again inside. After this we were led to a long  hallway where people were directed to two different lines based on type of VISA. I was directed to a different waiting area on the opposite side of the two queues in the hallway and asked to arrange my documents as per Checklist provided for Document verification. I realized this was being done only for L1 applicants. After 15 minutes or so, an officer arrived and asked all of us seated in the waiting area to proceed for document verification. After our documents were verified, we were asked to join one of the two queues from where we proceeded to the main building for VISA Interview.
After standing in the queue for 20-30 minutes, we were let inside the main building. 
The main building was like a presidential fort guarded by several commandos and private security.
This building had several tiers of security and it seemed like I was in one of the safest places on Earth. Anybody would have a tough time sneaking in before being shot or tazed.

Once inside the building, I could see several applicants standing in different queues. While I was wondering if I had to go though all these queues before my final interview, a guard directed me to a waiting area for L1 applicants. I sat there looking at the other applicants who were waiting as anxiously as I was, without knowing what to expect next. In no time, we were directed to a window for ID verification and payment of Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee. After I paid my fees and had my photo and biometrics verified, I was directed to wait in the main hall with other applicants for my turn looking at the Monitor to see the window where I needed to go for my VISA Interview.
Within no time, it was my turn to go to Window 22 for my interview. I paced to the Window 22 and was greeted warmly by the VISA Officer (VO). 

Me : Good morning Sir. How are you?
VO : Very Good morning Sir.  Thank you.
         Please pass me your passport and all the documents.

Passed all the documents in the slot provided at the bottom of the window.

VO : So you work for XYZ?
Me : Yes Sir

VO : Do you know which Category of VISA you are applying for? L1A or L1B Blanket?
Me : L1B Blanket Sir

VO : L1B Blanket. That means specialized skill set. Please describe shortly your specialized skill.
Me : My specialized skill is knowledge of application ABC which is a proprietary application of XYZ and we are currently developing it.

VO : You are developing it?
Me : Yes Sir

VO : How long are you planning to go?
Me : 'N' Months
VO : Okay

VO think for few seconds and enter few things on the system. After few TENSE SECONDS which seemed like forever.

VO : You can relax. Your VISA is approved.  I am just doing some paper work. Allow me two minutes to stamp your documents.

Finally I had a big satisfied smile on my face and was jumping inside for I had got an approval to enter United States of America, the land of infinite Opportunities. 

VO handed all my documents back retaining one copy of I-129S, I-797 and Passport. I was told I would receive my Passport in 7-10 days with VISA in the Collection Center that I had entered while 
submitting my application.

This was my experience of L1B Interview. If you enjoyed reading this post and was helpful, please leave your comments for more such posts. 




7 comments:

  1. Your website consists of a lot additional info that provides much more understanding and much more suggestions concerning the subjects you've provided inside your website.
    Asylum in usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Phoebe. I am glad you liked my blog. You can check our other posts on my blog related to this if you are interested. You can also subscribe to my blog if you are interested to ensure that you get latest updates and notifications of my new posts.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing such great information. It has help me in finding out more detail about USA visa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it helped. You can subscribe to my blog if you are interested in more such posts to ensure that you get latest updates and notifications of my new posts.

      Delete
  4. Nice & Informative blog
    If you are planning for US Non immigrant visa, you will need to find your profile suitable visa category among it. To process your visa application, contact the best immigration firm in India i.e. XIPHIAS Immigration.

    ReplyDelete